I promised recipes so here we are, perfect Cauliflower Cheese recipe for a dreary Sunday. When researching flowers for another project I was pleased to find out that cauliflowers actually are flowers! I make this with both mature cheddar and parmesan as its difficult to get the full level of cheesiness from just cheddar as it would end up too oily. Parmesan adds that level of ultimate savouriness which makes it perfect. It also helps with those lovely brown crispy bits.
Paxton & Whitfield use a combination of cheeses including Ogleshield, gruyere, cheddar & parmesan which is a great way of using up any slightly tired cheeseboard leftovers
You can cook broccoli in the same way or even a mixture. I sometimes have it for dinner on its own with boiled potatoes for dipping and carbs.
If you should have leftovers of this then I recommend adding some chicken stock and reheating until all is hot an bubbling then whizz up with a hand blender or pop in a blender. Check for consistency and add more stock if its too thick and whizz again. You now have cauliflower cheese soup, serve bubbling hot with the most wholemeal bread you have and enjoy.
`If you’d also like some roast potato inspiration with a touch of history, you can try this recipe.
A rich and cheesy side dish for 4 or dinner for 2 with bread for dunking
1 large cauliflower with any salvageable leaves, broken into pieces
4 tbsp flour
200g strong cheddar, grated
100g freshly grated parmesan
- Heat oven to 200C. Find a baking dish that fits the cauliflower and sauce fairly snuggly but with room for bubbling up. Add the cauliflower & leaves, broken into pieces, and cook for in the oven for 15-20 mins – lift out a piece to test, it should be cooked.
- Put a medium saucepan on the heat and add the milk, flour and butter.
- Start whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the flour will disappear and the sauce will begin to thicken. Whisk for 2 mins while the sauce bubbles and becomes nice and thick.
- Turn off the heat, stir half the grated cheddar and half the parmesan into the sauce and stir until melted, pour over the cauliflower. Scatter over the remaining cheese.
- Put in the oven and bake for 20 mins until bubbling and golden.